Sunday, August 9, 2015

Millie's-Poor Man's Dinner


Many of you know how I name some of my meals "Poor Man's Dinner" and that's because as a Puerto Rican there are areas in our island where many of our people are poor financially but they are very humble and rich in spirit. I say "poor" because still to this day many of them live in very small wooden homes and to feed their family they harvest about 80% of their food supply in their own land. Their piece of land is their pot of gold and they grow anything from coffee beans, to fresh roots, vegetables, fruits and even their own spices to conserve their small income.

I call this meal a poor man's dinner because other than rice and beans all they have for dinner are freshly picked roots, fruits & vegetables.

In many of my wonderful Poor Man's Dinner there is plenty of steamed vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, roots like plantain bananas and yautia & yams. As a gluten free vegan I love my breaded tofu & seasoned mushrooms steamed & pressed in my Cusinart Panini presser and served with lots of diced avocados...all drizzled with virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar. 

Here are my delicious seasoned & steam pressed mushrooms.


Breaded tofu and ripen sweeten plantains.


Lots of diced avocados  


 Delicious dinner filled with veggies, protein and the right fats!



No comments:

Post a Comment