Monday, January 26, 2015

Before and After Wicker Dresser Drawers

Hi everyone, its been very busy for me here at home since I am trying to finish so many projects I have on my "To Do" list. Among all the projects I have to finish, I am also trying to do all my Spring cleaning, purging and decorating early before Spring arrives.  We are expecting a lot of family gatherings, family visiting from out of state and many places to go to this Summer. As well as painting and decorating my son's house so we can get it ready for sale by August 1st.

One of the projects I had on my "To D" list was this small wicker dresser that I have in my kitchen. This wicker dresser was one of my office dressers at one time and for the past 5 years it has has been in my kitchen. Through time all the wicker woven front area of the baskets had deteriorated and they began to break and fall out. I hated to throw it out and since I am a very frugal person that thought was not going to happen.

This is the basket dresser and I thought it was to nice to depart from it. After weeks on thinking what to do with it I came to the conclusion of covering the front of the drawers. 


The drawers were looking bad as you see.



Since my kitchen has black, brown, cream and sage green colors, I used this check fabric in black and light brown. I first made a template for the drawer fronts with the drawer pulls.


I made sure it fit perfect on the drawer, leaving an inch off the bottom and sides for the trim.



Then I left about a half an inch lip to fold inward for a clean finish.



I pinned the template onto the fabric .




Then after cutting it out I pinned well the handle opening and with a pen I traced the area I needed to cut.



After cutting the fabric pieces (5 in all), I cut the handle opening about a half an inch inside the square to allow me to have a lip to cover the entire handle around every side inward.



I started gluing the fabric on the edges only around the drawer, start with the bottom working my way up to the top.



Here is the lip I had cut out to overlap inward into the drawer for a cleaner finish. I slit the corners so I could hot glue them inward.


This is how the drawer looks inside which no one sees.


This is the drawers now...they look lovely with the black trim around the edges.


Before


After






Beautiful, I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment