Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cornice Tutorial Photos and Instructions

 
Here is my bare sliding door before



Here is my sliding door after


 
This last Summer I tackled a project I had been putting off for quite some time and now that I plan to stay in my apartment for many years to come; I finally took the time to dress up the sliding door.
 
 I love the way my cornice looks and my living room looks fabulous.

Here's how I made my cornice, it is 94" long.

Tools needed:

5 sturdy Styrofoam sheets (5" long)
found in any craft store
(for a regular standard window, 3 to 4 sheets will be needed)
 
a hot glue gun & lots of glue sticks
2 boxes of thick round toothpicks
batting...enough to cover the entire frame.

fabric...enough to cover the sides, front and top of the cornice
desired trim
1 box of straight pins
a long level


Step 1...I measured the length, width and height of my desired cornice. When you make this measurement always remember to measure and cut your foam about 2 inches beyond the curtain rod so you don't see the rod at all and make sure it has a nice height towards the ceiling.  

Step 2... Measure the foam and mark your measurements with your level for an even leveled lines.

 
 
 
 

Step 3...I marked all my measurements and once all my pieces were marked, then I start to cut them out.
 
Step 4...I then began to construct the frame of my cornice.

I used toothpicks as anchors to unite my frame pieces together with hot glue in between them for a better tight fit. I made sure I also glue them well on the sides.




Once the pieces are united glue the outer edges and don't worry about the mess of glue this will not be seen after the batting and fabric goes over it.



I put the toothpicks on the bottom of the frame before placing the top and front part of the cornice. I also united these two pieces together with lots of glue. Then the sides were added to the frame.



This is how your construction should look like. As you can see the white foam that is facing the floor is the back of the front part of my cornice and the green foam is the top part.


I anchored for a sturdier hold my foam sheets together by putting a piece of foam where the two large foams pieces united for a sturdier construction. Just like placing a 2 by 4 for strength when constructing a house.


Once the construction is done then placing the batting is the next step. Glue well all the edges of the batting and make sure that you "lightly" pull the batting without taring it for a firmer tighter fit. This fit will hold together the construction of the cornice better.


Make sure to cover well the entire inner and outer construction with batting.




Once your frame is completely covered in batting then you can start upholstering it.

I made sure the fabric was placed properly and evenly in the front of my cornice first before I started gluing the edges. I used straight pins to hold my fabric in place before I glued it, and just like the batting I pulled my fabric tightly for a firmer tighter fit. That held the entire construction together very well.



After all the upholstering was finished, I then checked the entire cornice to make sure all the fabric was even and placed properly; then I started to glue my trim.




I used two different trims in the same color.
A straight flat trim and a rope designed trim alternating them throughout the front of the cornice.
It looks great.




Now to finish and seal my work, I covered the inside and back part of the cornice with white fabric. This fabric is the one that faces the outer part of the window (street view) and it wraps itself towards the top of the cornice, like the photo below. Make sure all the fabric is well placed and all the seams are even and tightly pinned with straight pins and glued.
 

 
 
On the back part of the cornice that faces the outer wall I sewed and glued 5 picture frame holder that I placed evenly throughout the length and back frame of the cornice. This will hold well on the wall with 5 nails. I also glue 2 medium size "L" brackets on each corner inside the cornice for better support and to prevent the wind from blowing the cornice off the wall.
(Sorry... I completely forgot to take a photograph of the picture hangers and brackets on the back of the cornice before we hung the cornice up.)

I did take some photos of the brackets after the cornice was hung and here they are.


One part of the bracket goes towards the wall and the other one goes to the upper part of the cornice. The brown bracket is my curtain rod and the white brackets are for my vertical binds.

This is how it should look after its installed over your curtain rod. I am taking the photo from the bottom looking up.


Here is a diagram on where to put your brackets and screws on your cornice.




I hope this helped and I just noticed I forgot to put the "s" on the word "against"...sorry, Its been a crazy day.

Here is my complete cornice and the cornice is very light in weight.

 




Here it is all hung up without fixing the curtains in place.

 
Beautiful Cornice
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Kudos! Your cornice is gorg! Adding the flat and rope trims to the cornice made it more elegant and classy. Also, the print that you chose isn't that hard to find something to pair it with. Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos here. I am going to imply this in my new house. i am sure this will awesome.
    some nice duvet covers

    ReplyDelete